We Are Here to Help You Through the Legal Process
Austin Adoption Lawyer
Helping Clients with the Tx Adoption Process
Whether you are beginning to think about adoption for the first time or are already in the process, hiring legal representation is in your best interest. Having an Austin adoption attorney by your side can not only make a difference in how smoothly the process goes but it can have an impact on the outcome of your case, too. When you work with Attorney Melissa Williams, you are getting over two decades of family law experience on your side in addition to compassionate adoption services.
Are you looking to adopt in Texas? Our adoption lawyer in Austin has the legal experience you need on your side. Call Melissa M. Williams today at (512) 271-2063 or contact us online to get started!
Types of Adoption Cases We Handle
At our Austin firm, we know that no two families are the same. Regardless of whether you already have children, are pursuing a solo adoption, or want to seek parental rights over your grandchild, we're here to assist you.
Melissa M. Williams is a board-certified family law attorney, making her an expert in Texas adoption law. We understand the ins and outs of every type of adoption case and use this knowledge to provide our clients with personalized representation. Helping families grow is one of the things we are most passionate about.
Our firm handles all types of adoption cases, including:
- Grandparent Adoption – In Texas, grandparent adoption allows grandparents to be legally viewed as the primary caregivers of a child. Parental rights must first be terminated, a DFPS home study must be conducted, and the child must consent to the adoption, among other requirements. Speak with a grandparent adoption lawyer for more information.
- Stepparent Adoption – As a stepparent, you do not automatically have parental rights by marrying the parent of your stepchild. Adopting your stepchild In Texas allows you as a stepparent to see parental rights when it comes to your stepchild.
- Same-Sex Parent Adoption – As a same-sex couple in Texas, you have every right to expand your family by adopting a child. Speak with an LGBT adoption attorney in Texas today to discuss your case!
Texas Adoption Laws
Since each state creates their own adoption rules, it’s important to know the specific laws regarding adoption in your state. While Texas has certain processes for adoption, someone seeking adoption must also comply with the rules of the given adoption agency.
Here are a few things to keep in mind if considering an adoption in Texas:
- Texas law states that any adult can adopt – there is no specific age requirement
- If an individual who is married wishes to adopt, then it must be done with the spouse (this applies to couples who are not yet legally divorced)
- Texas doesn’t have any specific law regarding same-sex couples or single parents who wish to adopt
- Texas adoption home studies are required – these include background checks, home visits, interviews, etc.
- A child is not eligible for adoption in Texas until the existing parental rights have been terminated
- Texas law requires that children over the age of 12 must give consent for their adoption
To learn more about adopting in Texas and how to proceed in your specific situation, contact our firm today.
Can You Adopt Someone Over 18?
A person (the petitioner) may adopt someone who is over the age of 18 in Texas. A scenario like this often comes to those with a step-parent who adopts a stepchild after many years. The person being adopted must consent to the adoption in writing, which must be filed with the court and they would be legally adopted as the child of the adoptive parent. This means they inherit from their adoptive parents.
The adoption process does not require giving notice of adoption to the biological parents of the adult who will be adopted, nor are the biological parents required to come in as a party to the case.
Contact Our Adoption Attorney in Austin Today
There are many steps involved in the adoption process, which can make it feel stressful and overwhelming. When you hire our Austin adoption lawyer, you can rely on us to work with you to streamline the process and make it as easy as possible for you. This may include assisting with paperwork, educating you on Texas adoption law, and working to resolve any issues that arise.
Attorney Melissa Williams wants to help you fulfill all your adoption needs quickly and efficiently. You can trust us to provide you with the caring and capable legal services you deserve.
For answers to frequently asked questions about adoption in Texas, visit the following blog post:
Contact Melissa M. Williams today to schedule a consultation with our Texas adoption lawyer!
"Melissa Williams is an elite family law attorney. I had a contentious and taxing divorce process, and she handled it with knowledge, professionalism, and care."Melanie R.
Melissa Williams is a brilliant professional that becomes a real friend.Former Client
Melissa was the perfect lawyer!Denise C.
I highly recommend Melissa and can't thank her enough for all her help!Jeff D.
Hiring Melissa was the best decision that I made!Bailey B.
I highly recommend her legal counsel and services!Marty M.
I'm grateful for her help.Jason.
Creative, Proactive ApproachWe take our clients' cases very seriously and we understand that no two cases are alike. Every case is handled with an open mind and by an attorney who is here to listen to your side of the story.
Board Certified Family Law AttorneyAttorney Melissa Williams has been certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization to practice Family Law in the state of Texas, a high honor speaking to the her dedication.
Specialized FocusThere are peaceful alternatives to traditional litigation divorce. We are experienced in both traditional litigation and collaborative alternatives
Hands-on AdvocacyWhen you hire Melissa M. Williams, you work directly with our attorney. You can rely on her to represent your case fully to the end.
Contact us today to set up a consultation with Attorney Melissa Williams. Our divorce attorney in Austin, Texas is ready to answer your questions.